Friday, October 3, 2014

Meal Plan so Far This Week

Here was my dinner plan for this week......

1.  Leftovers
2.  Fish fry, leftover coleslaw, veggie of some kind from the freezer
3.  Leftovers
4.  Leftovers
5.  Pork Chops, Red Cabbage w/Apples
6.  Chili over Rice or with Burritos
7.  Subway sandwiches
 
Here is what has happened so far.....
 
1.  Leftovers
2.  Subway sandwiches(my points were expiring 9/30, had to use)
3.  Fish fry, leftover coleslaw, steamed broccoli
4.  Me-leftover lemon chicken and zuke, Hubs-leftover stuffed peppers w/rice
5.  Hubs-leftover lemon chicken and zuke, Me-large salad
 
We still have 2 servings of lasagna and leftover taco filling.  I think I'll turn the taco meat into chili today(add some stew beef to it as well)and we'll have the lasagna on Saturday.
I had more leftovers than I thought when I made this plan up, so the pork chops will move to next week's plan.

Hubs and I went to Sam's Club and spent $81 this week.  I got a few premade items I don't usually buy---

* a 2.5 lb. tub of Pecan and Cranberry Chicken Salad.  It was reduced to $6(near expiration date).  I wouldn't have bought this at the regular price of $12.98 especially since I've never tasted this brand before.  Who wants to take a chance on something that expensive?  Thankfully I really like this chicken salad, though it is a tad sweet to the taste.  I've been having this all week for lunch and at $6 it's been cheaper than a week of deli meat.

* I bought some Marie Calendar pot pies.  I usually make my own pot pie from scratch but we use to have these when the kids were younger and liked them.  And the big box of 8 was $12.18($1.51 each)and this will give us 4 meals.  It's just a quick meal(add a salad)in the freezer if we need one.

* We also bought a large pan of Chicken Marsala to try.  I made a mistake on this one.  The sign was the per pound price, not the total price.....so basically I paid double what I thought I was paying for this item.
Ugh.
Oh well, it won't break us and I'll be more careful next time.

We also got a large tub of salad greens, a large sack of apples, a large pack of 9V batteries(time to check those smoke detectors!), a box of fresh muffins(for Hubs breakfast)and a box of apple turnovers(snack stuff).
I am not convinced that buying in bulk will really save us any money but I'm willing to give it a try.

Sluggy

2 comments:

  1. There are cute plastic bags with handles that contain cheap apples at $0.98/lb. I am tempted but the are not Red Delicious. When I went to Huntsville several times a week for work, I bought the Atlanta Grilled Chicken Salad from their Deli. Then, I started buying it in larger containers. That was a mistake. Plus, anything sweet in bulk is lost on me because I eat it way too fast even if I don't really like it.

    Wow, too many leftovers! Maybe you will be able to cut back on the monthly grocery bill except for son coming home and holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leftovers aren't a problem for us as we LIKE leftovers.lol

      And I have brought the food bill down about $100 in September. Not sure it this will be a regular amount for us but am hoping so. 8-)

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.